Well now that the semester is over with at school and I no longer have to have 2 posts a week, I still wanted to keep this blog running because I enjoy writing about health and fitness even if some people might already know about a certain topic I am writing about.
You can probably tell this post is about running which you are correct. I used to hate running and now I have grown to love it and I am not sure why. I guess it helps get my mind off of things and relieves a lot of stress. I now run about 10-20 miles a week now and I have been preparing myself for MANY 5k races this summer which next weekend will be my third 5K race.
If you are interested in running any races be sure to check out this site that shows all the upcoming races in Iowa
RACES IN IOWA
Upcoming ones I will be Participating in:
1. The Wild 5K (May 24)
2. Race for the Cure 5k (June 14)
3. Moonlight Chase 4 Miles (July 12)
4. BIX 7 *Maybe* 7 Miles (July 26)
Those are just a few…. I’d like to do more.
So how do you get into running ? Easy. Anyone can be a runner you just have to take it one step at a time.
All you need are some good running shoes, comfy workout clothes and a place to run whether its outside or inside on a treadmill.
- If you are new to running, start out by walking. If your body isn’t used to running all the time, take it slow and start off by walking. If you feel you want to run, first walk a few minutes so your legs get stretched out then start to jog after those few minutes.
- Keep a Running Log: For the past few years every workout I do, I log how long I workout and what I did and how far I have gone. You don’t need to buy an expensive workout planner, all you need is a notebook and a pen. Track down how far you went (its good to have a pedometer or some sort of fitness app that tracks your steps and/or distance)- Product I use: FitBit to track my distance/steps.
A great website I also use to track my workouts is: Running-Log.comDefinitely a great site that you can keep track of your workouts. Keeps me motivated too to see how well I am doing.
- Good Music to run to: Its always good to have music going while you run especially up-beat music. The faster the song the better. A pumped up song makes you want to run compared to a slow song. Keep the volume down lower though especially when running outside so you can hear things around you.
- Wear Comfy Running Shoes: You want to make sure you invest in a good pair of running shoes to help keep you from an injury. You want to make sure you have comfy running shoes if you are going to be running all the time. Go somewhere and get your feet fitted properly for the right shoe. Here is a great article to read by Runners World that shows how to pick the right shoe for you!
- Stay Hydrated: Make sure you drink plenty of water before and after your run. Drink at least 16 ounces of water before your run an hour before
“RUN often. RUN long. But never outrun your joy of running.” – Julie Isphording