Is it a good idea to eat a meal before a workout or after a workout? The answer is yes but what are the right things to eat before and after?
You don’t want to over stuff yourself before your workout and have an upset stomach as you workout so make sure you eat something light. Also by eating before your workout, this will give you more energy as you are exercising.
Photo Credit: Laurenconrad.com
So what are some good things to eat before your workout?
- Fruit! Have a variety of fruits such as a banana, some berries, an orange, apple. Whatever you prefer.
- Peanut Butter & Toast (add some sliced banana on top if you’d like)
- Protein Bar (your favorite) Mine would have to be a Luna Cookie Dough Protein Bar
- Eggs & Toast: 1 Hard boiled egg with a slice of whole wheat toast
- Greek Yogurt
- Oatmeal with Fresh Fruit
- Protein Pancakes
- Whole wheat sandwich with your choice of meat (turkey, tuna, ham, etc)
- Chocolate Milk
- Protein Bar
- Nuts and Dried Fruit
- Pita with Hummus
There are many other great snacks you can have, those are just a few to name off. Just make sure they are low in fat and that you drink plenty of fluids before and after your workout to keep you hydrated. Try to drink at least one or two cups of water at least one hour before you exercise. Also by adding protein to your meal this will help your muscles recover and grow after exercising.
We all are constantly so busy we don’t always have the time to eat the right way. I can vow for that. Being a full time college student and working when I am not at school can be hectic and can be hard to find time to fit in eating healthy so it is always good to have healthy snacks with me.
Now I know we can’t always have certain foods with us all the time depending on the temperature, which could make the food go bad. We cant just keep a cup of yogurt with us or healthy deli meats. It would spoil and make your bag smell horrible.
So what are some great snacks to have that are healthy to have with you at all times?
Photo Credit: thehealthyapron.com
- My favorite would be almonds. They taste great and have lots of vitamins and protein and will help keep you full throughout the day. Just don’t eat too many!
Other great nuts to have available are: Pistachios, Cashews, Pecans
2. Protein or Granola Bars
Photo Credit: LunaBar.com
- Protein and Granola Bars are great snacks for on the go. Make sure to choose ones with carbs and protein (obviously the Protein Bars will have the protein you need)
My favorites: LUNA Protein Bar (Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough), Any other type of Luna Bars, Natura Valley Granola Bars, Kashi Granola Bars, KIND Bars
3. Fresh Fruit
Photo Credit: Scenebayarea.com
- So many varieties of fruit that you can have is a great snack to keep with you. Choose any of your favorites!
My favorites that are easy to carry with me: Bananas, Apples, Oranges, Grapes. I would prefer strawberries but I like cold strawberries so not as easy for me to carry around.
- **Also if you have an apple and you like peanut butter, bring a small container of peanut butter so you can dip your apple in it if you slice it up! Taste great and you have some extra protein with you including the peanut butter.
Photo Credit: Seriousseats.com
- If you don’t mind eating cereal without milk, this is a great snack to have. Easy to carry and easy to munch on. Just make sure you pick a cereal that has some nutritional value to it and not some sugary cereal.
Good choices: Raisin Bran, Cheerios (Cheerios offers so many different varieties now), Froot Loops, Mini Wheats
5. Tuna Snack Pack
Photo Credit: Starkist
- Many grocery stores offer tuna snack packs for on the go now. They come with a small thing of tuna, some crackers, small pouch of mayo and some relish for you to mix up on your on and eat on the go. Easy to eat and if you like tuna and crackers its definitely a great snack to have and provides protein!