Iowa City is a hot spot for some great places to grab a cup of coffee, whether on the go or needing a place to sit down there are a few places you might like to check out (if you haven’t already). Not only is there a Starbucks like always in pretty much every city you visit but there are also local coffee shops to try out. Why not give them a chance too.
Whether you are a student walking around campus or just anybody looking for a cup of joe, I wanted to provide you a list of some of the great places to check out if you are looking for a warm or cool treat to fill your body or just looking for a place to relax and get some stuff done on your own time.
1. The Java House (Located Downtown Iowa City: 211 1/2 East Washington Street) – 6 other Locations as well *check website for more details*
Hours: Monday-Saturday 6:00 a.m. – 12:00 a.m.
Sunday 7:00 a.m.- 12:00 a.m.
The Java House made the list of America’s Best 50 College Coffee Shops on Complex at number 19!
- Choose from Coffee, Tea, Smoothies, Frappes, and a variety of bakery items.
2. May’s Cafe (Located at 136 S. Dubuque St, Downtown Iowa City)
Hours: Monday-Thursday 6:30 a.m.- 11:00 p.m.
Friday 6:30 a.m.- 10:00 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday 7:00 a.m.- 10:00 p.m.
New to Iowa City by opening up in May 2013, May’s brings in some of the highest quality of coffee in the nation to Iowa City. They source two of the top roasters in the country, Kickapoo and Intelligentsia.
- Choose from coffee, iced drinks, tea, smoothies, and even locally made Ice Cream- Choose from 24 different flavors.
3. T-Spoons (Located at 201 South Clinton St – in Old Capitol Mall) – 1 Other Location * E. Market St.
Hours: Monday- Thursday 6:30 a.m.-9:00 p.m
Friday 6:30 a.m.- 8:00 p.m.
Saturday 8:00 a.m.- 5:00 p.m.
Sunday 11:00 a.m.- 4:00 p.m.
- Choose from coffee, teas, other drinks and a variety of diff food items for breakfast or lunch
4. Prairie Lights Books (Located at 15 S Dubuque St, Iowa City)
Hours: Monday- Saturday 9:00 a.m.- 9:00 p.m.
Sunday 9:00 a.m.-6 p.m.
Not only is Prairie Lights a bookstore but it also is a coffee shop!
- Choose from a variety of different coffee, tea, other cold drinks, bakery goods, and even wine and beer.
5. High Ground Cafe
(Located at 301 E. Market St- Iowa City)
Hours: Monday-Sunday 7:00 a.m- 11:00 p.m.
High Ground Cafe offers Organic coffee and espresso drinks as well as organic teas. They even have smoothies and lemonade and even wine & beer. Not only do they have drinks but they also serve food as well ranging from paninis to salads.
Be sure to check them all out and skip the usual Starbucks. It is always nice to try some place new! You might find a new favorite.