Every morning I wake up and when it is time to eat breakfast, I have a handful of almonds with whatever else I am eating for breakfast.
Not everyone likes nuts but you should get in the habit of trying to incorporate some kind into your diet. Nuts are packed with protein, heart-healthy fats, vitamins and minerals.
Make sure you are choosing the right ones though. Not all nuts are good for you. Some might have too much fat content and could ruin your daily caloric and fat intake.
The Best Nuts to Consume:
- Almonds: Almonds are the lowest calorie nut coming in at 160 calories for 23 of them.
6 grams of protein, 14 grams of fat
- Cashews: About 16 to 18 cashews have 5 grams of protein and 13 grams of fat.
- Pistachios: For 49 nuts, will have 6 grams of protein and 13 grams of fat.
- Walnuts: For 13 walnuts, that is 185 calories with 18 grams of fat and 4 grams of protein
Another great tip is to make sure the nuts are raw and dry roasted. If they are drenched in oil, that’s just adding more fat content.
The Worst Nuts to Consume:
- Pecans: 18-20 pecans equals 200 calories and contain 3 grams of protein and 20 grams of fat.
- Macadamia Nuts: 10-12 nuts contain 2 grams of protein and 21 grams of fat.
They are still good nuts to consume for the vitamins and minerals, its just the fat content is high and very low protein.