Is it a good idea to eat a meal before a workout or after a workout? The answer is yes but what are the right things to eat before and after?
You don’t want to over stuff yourself before your workout and have an upset stomach as you workout so make sure you eat something light. Also by eating before your workout, this will give you more energy as you are exercising.
So what are some good things to eat before your workout?
- Fruit! Have a variety of fruits such as a banana, some berries, an orange, apple. Whatever you prefer.
- Peanut Butter & Toast (add some sliced banana on top if you’d like)
- Protein Bar (your favorite) Mine would have to be a Luna Cookie Dough Protein Bar
- Eggs & Toast: 1 Hard boiled egg with a slice of whole wheat toast
- Greek Yogurt
- Oatmeal with Fresh Fruit
- Protein Pancakes
- Whole wheat sandwich with your choice of meat (turkey, tuna, ham, etc)
- Chocolate Milk
- Protein Bar
- Nuts and Dried Fruit
- Pita with Hummus
There are many other great snacks you can have, those are just a few to name off. Just make sure they are low in fat and that you drink plenty of fluids before and after your workout to keep you hydrated. Try to drink at least one or two cups of water at least one hour before you exercise. Also by adding protein to your meal this will help your muscles recover and grow after exercising.